Welcome Visitor...

Latest News

- Palestar Site Revamp...
- Developer WIKI Online...
- DarkSpace Source Code Offline.
- Medusa Engine Source Code Released!
- Website Update
- Palestar Development Website Online...

Latest Topics

- How do I delete my account? »
- Visual Studio Environments »
- Where is dl?? »
- Game Development Resource Links »
- Medusa Engine »
- GCQL License... »
- MEDUSA »
- Game Development Resource Links »
- Medusa Enhancement Request »
- Medusa / Darkspace / Resourcer questions »

Top Links

- DarkSpace
- Palestar Developer WIKI
- Palestar Bug Tracking
- Medusa Engine @ Github

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Questions » » Some awkward questions..
 Author Some awkward questions..
c0ld
Cadet

Posted: 2005-05-02 08:09   
Well, maybe at least..
I'd like to know how medusa is to be released, either as compilable source or precompiled libraries/binaries? This section of the documents makes it seem like it's the full source. If that's the case though, how will you deal with licence problems that stem from a source modified engine.
I.e. Say I changed the engine to run through openGl, maybe even a full linux conversion. Or maybe I wanted to make a new version that compiled under a different IDE than VC++, or added a new graphical trick. Would you incorporate these changes into the standard engine and allow others to benefit? How could you then justify charging for the license if the source gets modified too much? The alternative would be that there were many different versions floating around, how in this case could you keep the licence intact?

[ This Message was edited by: c0ldfury on 2005-05-02 08:11 ]

Faustus
Cadet
Palestar

Posted: 2005-05-02 10:48   
Not an awkward questions....

I plan to release FULL source code for Medusa. If your a non-commercial developer, then Medusa will be really cheap to license (perhaps free). This will allow you to make a game, sell it, and so long as you don't sell more than 5,000 units you will not owe Palestar a single cent in royalties. Once you break 5,000 units, then something like a 5-10% royalty will apply and you'll have to start paying Palestar some money.... sound fair?

If you make a modification or addition to Medusa... you are encouraged to submit it back to be added to the official engine, all changes to the engine will go through me and be approved by me... so we don't end up with some crappy code in the engine.

Any developer who asks will have direct access to the version control for Medusa, and will be able to submit their changes directly. (at the very least a branch of Medusa) If fact, this will be the prefered method of getting the engine, since it will get you the latest code, and allow you to submit any changes/fixes you make back into the engine.

We will likely only release the GameCQ client side. It does contain some sensitve information, and we don't want 10,000 other gameCQ networks popping up all over the place.

-Richard

Goto the website of Faustus
c0ld
Cadet

Posted: 2005-05-02 17:39   
Quote:

On 2005-05-02 10:48, Faustus wrote:

If you make a modification or addition to Medusa... you are encouraged to submit it back to be added to the official engine, all changes to the engine will go through me and be approved by me... so we don't end up with some crappy code in the engine.

-Richard

That's good to hear. It may turn out that, once there is serious interest in Medusa, Indy developers may add stuff that could be of direct benefit to Darkspace.

lilFrigate (Marys Soldier)
Cadet

Posted: 2005-05-13 19:30   
ok so medusa is the dark space engine, see this is what ive been trying to find out... its strange how coicidence has led me here. I just been recently having the idea to licence an engine and create a freeware game... see my post licencing darkspace engines...

faustus i am not a professional developer, im a non developer a nothing, a player of darkspace, but id like to licence dark space to try my hand at making my wish of a game... am.... then i stumbled across all this discussion about the engine and that you might release it free to non professionals. I doubt id make modifications to the engine because it seems quite capable for what I have in mind, I just hope it has tools to guide me... I'll have a friend fill in on the programming if needed....

how can I contact you to discuss further so you can have/get personal details about me and know that I am who I say I am....

Equilibrium!

Page created in 0.013388 seconds.

Copyright ©2000-2024 by Palestar, All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR