Welcome Visitor...

Latest News

- Palestar Site Revamp...
- Developer WIKI Online...
- DarkSpace Source Code Offline.
- Medusa Engine Source Code Released!
- Website Update
- Palestar Development Website Online...

Latest Topics

- How do I delete my account? »
- Visual Studio Environments »
- Where is dl?? »
- Game Development Resource Links »
- Medusa Engine »
- GCQL License... »
- MEDUSA »
- Game Development Resource Links »
- Medusa Enhancement Request »
- Medusa / Darkspace / Resourcer questions »

Top Links

- DarkSpace
- Palestar Developer WIKI
- Palestar Bug Tracking
- Medusa Engine @ Github

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Bugs » » MAJOR MEMORY LEAK
 Author MAJOR MEMORY LEAK
Vinco

Galactic Navy

Posted: 2002-02-18 19:05   
I was in GameCQ for about 30 minutes today, reading forums. At the end, I noticed that Winamp stopped playing... No memory was available.

I have 256MB of physical memory

The problem ended as soon as I quit GameCQ

I've gotten MANY other crashes after being logged in to GameCQ, whole system crashes that tell me to reinstall windows, and blow the system until I manually reset it.

Take a look at this code!!

Vinco

In Another Place

Honor is all.

-mac-

Posted: 2002-02-20 02:16   
Did you happen to come across any messages in the forum that spit out a 'php_tail' error in line 58?

I found a few of these msgs, resulting in (after running Terminal Services Client) a massive memory leak. Eventually, GCQL spit out an error, something to the effect of 'Required resource was not found in' (didn't specify anything else. Only exiting GCQL and restarting system would clear the leak ...

Faustus took care of the erroneous msgs, and since then I haven't had any problems.

Samweis
Cadet

Posted: 2002-02-20 02:31   
Quote:

'Required resource was not found in'

I read your post and used the back button and at this moment i got this message

Email Samweis
Vinco
Cadet
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2002-02-21 15:31   
I didn't find any of those particular errors on these occasions.

Vinco

In Another Place

Honor is all.

Vinco
Cadet
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2002-02-26 21:59   
I did further tests, and even with all programs closed but GameCQ, systray, explorer, system monitor, and norton antivirus, the crash still occurred with >30MB of free physical memory reported.

My computer is stable for days UNTIL I use GameCQ...

Draw your own conclusions.

Vinco

In Another Place

Honor is all.

Shigernafy
Cadet

Posted: 2002-02-26 22:11   
Now, Thanks to you!, I get crazy errors too.. "A Required Resource cannot be found" I think it says, but I'm not really sure, as it totally futzes up my screen. I just have to restart GameCQ to get it to work alright though. But it is extremely annoying. And I have no idea why it is happing. It never happened before, until Vinco mentioned his going nuts.

I'll try setting it to run in Windows 98/ME compatability mode (since i'm on XP) and see if that helps. Expect a report in a day or two...

Email Shigernafy
Vinco
Cadet
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2002-02-26 23:04   
I just crashed again. Here are the messages (pen and paper copied)

Explorer caused an invalid page fault in SNMTRHK.DLL at 0197:014612ad

I clicked OK, then got the following message

Error loading explorer.exe
You must reinstall Windows

I clicked OK

My system then turned itself off.

Most annoying.

Vinco

In Another Place

Honor is all.

Shigernafy
Cadet

Posted: 2002-02-27 02:42   
I never get anything that bad.. just "A Required Resource cannot be found" or something to that effect.

It seems to happen more often when winamp is open, and when I'm using the web page (in the web window).

If it goes off (about 20 windows pop up over eachother), I can just click them all away and then the screen is a little messed up (sometimes more than others), and it USUALLY stays away if I don't use the web page. Not always, but it doesn't tend to come back as soon or as often if I just use the chat window.

But I am running in Win 98/ME compatability mode, and haven't had any problems in the last few hours... but I'll keep you updated.

Email Shigernafy
Shigernafy
Cadet

Posted: 2002-02-27 03:02   
Well, it just pooped out on me again...

"A required resource was unavailable."

That's the message... and I can't seem to be rid of it.

Next major installer update and I'll reinstall and see if that helps... but right now, I don't want to have to download all the updates again.

Lemme know if any solutions or workarounds are found...

Email Shigernafy
Demorian
Cadet
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2002-02-27 13:27   
I would like to provide additional evidence in this whole debacle, a new viewpoint we haven't even examined yet.

So I was sitting at school earlier today, looking at the darkspace.net website.....and i minimize and try to open another internet explorer window. it was then that i got an eerie and all-too-familiar error.

memory was zapped.

So I propose the possibility that it is not GameCQ causing this leak, but possibly something that both the website and GameCQ use (such as the site itself) to swallow up memory.

-Dem

Vinco
Cadet
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2002-02-27 14:04   
An interesting idea... Perhaps some of the scripts on the site are causing the problem... I'll link this to the web forum.

Vinco

In Another Place

Honor is all.

Naufragus the Hashishin
Cadet

Posted: 2002-02-27 14:53   
Rereposting here since we have 4 threads on the same problem:

I am reposting his here...YES The game CQ causes all kinds of problems...ALSO when in game i used to like to have the website open in IE to check servers and maps and kill time in the forums while jumping... The website appears to cause the same types of errors as the client...The only other program that I have has similar problems with is YAHOO Messenger, though versions of it in the past few months have been stable. I am no computer expert by any means but on invistigating my MFC42 errors I found that the DS client comes with its own MFC42 file that does not match my system file (mine is a higher version). This led me to wonder if this could be the problem for me...With other programs, my experience has been that you can either delete the MFC42 that comes with it or simply copy over the older version. I have tried this wih DS but the update always reinstals it when i log in.

Posted in website forum:

I guess this is a good place to post this....this website freaks my computer out!

I can surf all day with no problems then come here and check the forums and maps start getting all kinds of errors...after about 10 minutes i just have to shut it down. I used to have the site up when i was in MV to check the maps, that causs the most problems. I just tried to start the client and got a C++ Runtime error. If I have the site open while in game i get "Not enough memory to run that Program errors" if i try to start any other programs. If I have this site up and try and open the client i get MFC42 errors...I can accept that these problems are on my end but i have reinstalled DX, IE and VB. I am going to remove and reinstall my video drivers again. I used to have 5-6 programs going at all times but now if this site is open something is eating my system resources and im afraid to run anything else.

Any suggetsions on what I can tweak on my end are aprecciated

Shigernafy
Cadet

Posted: 2002-02-28 22:01   
Can you guys all post what OS you have, and what browser (and version) you use? I'm trying the site (not GameCQ) on friend's computers to try to test out different configs and see if I can get errors... it would help to know what causes to the most problems.

To that end, I have

Windows XP Home Edition
IE 6.0

Email Shigernafy
Vinco
Cadet
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2002-02-28 22:52   
WinME-all updates
IE6

Vinco

In Another Place

Honor is all.

Shigernafy
Cadet

Posted: 2002-03-01 16:56   
Is anyone who gets this error running Windows 2000?

I have been running GCQL.exe in Windows 2000 compatability mode, and I haven't been Vinco'd in the last two days while doing that. Doesn't mean its foolproof, but it seems to be working.

Doesn't solve your problem though, Vinco. I'll try some more research and see if I can find anything.

Faustus, you paying attention? I know nimby mentioned something about the bug - I think he got Vinco'd - but I don't know if its being looked at.

There's got to be something in common between us all... so far, since just Vinco and I have posted, its IE 6, so that doesn't help much.

Any other thoughts? I'm just kinda randomly throwing stuff around.

Email Shigernafy
Page created in 0.027709 seconds.

Copyright ©2000-2024 by Palestar, All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR